The question isn’t “What can you do there?” It’s “What can’t you do?”
At its face, it’s a nature preserve for bird watchers, animal lovers, and hiking enthusiasts, not to mention a sought-after venue for weddings. But it’s so much more than that. And it lives just inside Chevy Chase, Maryland.
From education to conservation efforts, here’s everything that this beautiful Chevy Chase gem has to offer.
ANS School Programs:
- Audubon Naturalist Society’s Environmental Science programs are for ages K-8 and highlight human impacts, ecological systems, and watersheds
- Audubon Nature Preschool allows young children to spend every day immersed in ANS’s 40-acre Woodend Nature Sanctuary
- Camp Audubon offers day, travel, and overnight camps for children in the DC metro area
- Adult education includes classes such as “Fall in the Parks” and field trips such as bird watching expeditions and even travel opportunities (Tanzania anyone?)
ANS Conservation Programs:
- The Audubon Society owns and conserves 108 acres of natural habitat in what’s often thought of as heavily urban and suburban areas
- With the goal of cleaner streams in every neighborhood in the Maryland, Virginia, and DC Metro area, they run campaigns on important conservation issues and host a variety of events such as their “Sweep the Creek” stream cleanup in the Long Branch community.
The above list provides just a taste of what this organization offers. There’s also a multitude of ways you can get involved — from large conferences to smaller volunteer opportunities. If you’ve got something to say, or an effort you think needs to be made in your local DC Metro community, they even have a platform on their website for you to “Share Your Story.”
As a Chevy Chase Maryland Realtor, I am so proud to see the outpouring of love and volunteer work from this beautiful organization. It’s another reminder that the DC Metro region is truly a great place to live.
For more information on ANS, please visit their website: https://anshome.org/.