Before we know it, Election Day – November 6 – will soon be upon us. No matter what your political affiliation is, it’s important to know when, where and what you should do now before you head out to vote.
How Do I Vote in the Upcoming Election?
If you would like to vote on Election Day, you must be registered by October 16. If you are not registered to vote or need to update your information, you can turn in a voter registration application or check out Maryland’s Online Voter Registration System.
Where Do I Go to Vote on Election Day?
Where you vote depends on your Chevy Chase address. Click here to find out where you should go on Election Day.
What if I Can’t Make it to the Polls on Election Day?
You can always opt for early voting, which starts October 27 through November 1. Although none of the early election polls are located in Bethesda or Chevy Chase neighborhoods, below is a list of early voting centers in Montgomery County:
• Marilyn Praisner Community Center — 14906 Old Columbia Pike, Burtonsville
• Germantown Community Recreation Center – 18905 Kingsview Rd., Germantown
• Bauer Drive Community Recreation Center– 14625 Bauer Dr., Rockville
• Executive Office Building – 101 Monroe St., Rockville
• Silver Spring Civic Building – 8525 Fenton St., Silver Spring*
*The Silver Spring Civic Building is likely to be the most convenient location for Chevy Chase early voters, since it’s about a ten minute drive from North Chevy Chase Park. The other locations are approximately 15 to 25 minutes away.
Some Dos and Don’ts on Election Day
• Electronic devices like cameras, cell phones and laptops cannot be used.
• You might have to show ID before you can vote. If so, you may bring a MD driver’s license, passport, or copy of a paycheck or bank statement with your name and address that is dated at most 3 months prior to the election.
• You can wear clothes or buttons that support a certain political party, but you must leave the polling place as soon as you finish voting.
How Long Are the Polls Open?
Polls are open from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. on Election Day. Early voting centers are open 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Saturday. On Sunday they’re open from 12 p.m. to 6 p.m.
What are your thoughts on early voting? Let us know.