As excited as we are about the warm, summer temperatures that have just arrived, the season also tends to bring its fair share of storms. Certain parts of the country are already experiencing bouts of bad weather and therefore, it’s prime time to prepare your home in Washington DC, Bethesda, Chevy Chase, and Northern Virginia for any that may be coming our way.
Take this weekend to check off the following on your storm prep to-do list. With these tips, you can both secure your home and avoid any surprises that can come from Mother Nature this summer.
- Emergency plan. Draft an “emergency plan” with any notes or procedures your family should follow in case of inclement weather. Designate a room in which everyone should meet during a storm.
- Make repairs. Secure all broken or loose fence posts, reattach gutters or shutters. The last thing you want is for strong winds to blow these into your home or cause damage to your vehicles.
- Secure landscaping. Broken or loose tree limbs should be hauled away now before the storm season gets underway.
- Protect electronics. Install surge protectors for your expensive electronics and appliances as a lightening strike can quickly destroy them.
- Create a storm kit. Gather flashlights, batteries, bottled water, snacks and a weather radio and place in your designated storm room for safe keeping.
- Prep for insurance claims. Take digital photos of your home, valuable, vehicles and the like to keep off site for potential insurance claims down the road.
- Store vehicles and furniture. Bring outdoor furniture into storage or secure it on your patio. Also, bring all vehicles into your garage to avoid storm damage.
Summer is such a fun season in Metro DC, with plenty of sunshine and more time for enjoying recreational activities. Don’t let storms get in the way of your enjoying the summer or your new home in Washington DC, Bethesda, Chevy Chase, and Northern Virginia.
As always, The Estridge Group is happy to help walk you through the home buying and home selling process this year. From recommending local mortgage experts to providing a list of available homes in Metro DC, do not hesitate to contact us!