Preparing for Hurricane Irene

As hurricane Irene moves up the coast and threatens our area, the Rollingwood Citizens Association shared some important information. Here are phone numbers to keep handy and tips for before, during and after the storm.


We’ll keep our fingers crossed, but should the power go out, Pepco has advised RCA that all outages should be reported, even if you know neighbors have already done so.  Pepco says the more information they have, the better they can assess the situation.  This is the number to call, which you may want to write down before the bad weather starts:



In a press release issued today, Montgomery County listed the following preparedness tips for hurricanes and other storms:

Before a Storm

· Put copies of important documents in a safe place, preferably a waterproof container. Important documents can include passports, birth certificates, insurance policies or anything else that might be needed immediately or cannot be easily replaced.

· Have enough cash for a few days – ATM’s may not work during power outages and stores might not be able to take debit and credit cards.

· Make sure vehicle gas tanks are full.

· Secure or bring inside exterior items that might become windborne, such as lawn furniture, toys and garden tools.

· Fill prescriptions that might be needed and stock up on any necessary medical supplies.

· Keep flashlights and battery-powered radios with extra batteries on hand, along with a basic first aid kit, emergency food and water, and a non-electric can opener. Have enough non-perishable food and water for at least 72 hours.

· Listen to the radio or television for hurricane progress reports.

· Clean out gutters.

· Turn the refrigerator and freezer to the coldest setting in anticipation of a power outage. Open the doors only when necessary and close quickly.

· Refrain from putting out trash cans the night before the regular pickup.

During a Storm

· Avoid using candles for lighting. Use a battery-powered flashlight.

· Never use a candle when fueling equipment such as a kerosene heater or lantern, since the candle flame can ignite fumes from the fuel.

· Try to stay in an interior room or away from windows.

· Stay calm and do not call 911 unless it is an emergency.

· If flooding occurs, turn off electricity at the main breaker.

· During a power outage, turn off major appliances. This will minimize losing power again through a power surge and protect the equipment when power returns.

· Do not go outside. Flying debris from high winds is a danger. As the eye of the storm passes, there will be a short period of calm followed by rapid wind speed increases to hurricane force that will come from the opposite direction.

After a Storm

· Do not touch fallen or low-hanging wires of any kind under any circumstances. Stay away from puddles with wires in or near them. Do not touch trees or other objects in contact with power lines.

· USE PHONES ONLY FOR EMERGENCIES. Call 911 only for life-threatening situations.

· Call police or your utility companies immediately to report hazards such as downed power lines, broken gas or water mains or overturned gas tanks.

· Avoid areas subject to flooding, including low spots, canals and streams. Do not attempt to drive on a flooded road -you can be stranded or trapped. The depth of the water and the condition of the road is not always obvious.

· Be especially cautious at night when it is harder to recognize flood dangers, downed wires and other hazards.

· For downed trees on public property, call 3-1-1 between 7 a.m. and 5 p.m. weekdays (or 240-777-0311 from outside the County or from a cell phone) or go to at any time to report the problem. If live wires are involved, the tree is blocking a roadway, the tree is on a structure, or if persons are trapped under the fallen tree, call 9-1-1.

· Trees that have fallen on private property are the responsibility of the property owner. The County’s Office of Consumer Protection advises homeowners to deal with established businesses only, and to call Consumer Protection first to check a business’ complaint record. Consumer Protection can be reached at 240-777-3636.

· For non-emergency police assistance, call the police non-emergency number, 301-279-8000.